Google
 
Web blogofthebard.blogspot.com

Friday, November 23, 2007

My Wii Moment

As anybody who has ever played the Nintendo Wii knows there are stories abound about how the Wii can bring on destruction without a moment's notice. For me, that moment came in a rather heated game of Wii Tennis about three months ago. To begin with I was not very good at Wii Tennis despite my near mastery of nearly all of the other Wii Sports and so when I got things all tied up in the third set, I was anxious to get it over with. My opportunity came in the form of an overhand smash which I took with a great amount of vigor. What resulted was my shoulder popping completely out of joint causing a pain which I can only describe as "insanely horrendously horrible" to cascade from my shoulder and then throughout the rest of my body. Thankfully, I hit the living room floor hard enough to pop the shoulder back in place which did well to subside the tears and cussing. As I lay there clutching my arm, my son, a good boy, walked over to ask, "Daddy, are you gonna get up and play or can I watch my toons now?" Yes, my son loves his daddy.

Anyway, I tell this story only to say that I figured this was my "Wii Moment." It was my story that I would tell about my horrible experience with the Ninentdo Wii. I thought that until today, Thanksgiving Day, when we went to my mom and stepdad's house to eat Thanksgiving dinner.

Recently, my stepdad, after two years of debating on what new TV to buy, purchased a 42 inch Sony Bravia LCD HDTV. Arguably, this was, and still is, the finest LCD HDTV on the market. Even more recently, my stepdad won a Nintendon Wii at work. He even called me at the time to tell me about it since he rarely won much of anything his entire life. Take that and add a bunch of family members eating turkey and drinking adult beverages and you can see the perfect storm beginning to form here.

Long story short, my Wii Moment was not my shoulder wrenching out of joint, it was hearing the sound of a mortar blast as a family member went for a strike on Wii Sports Bowling and accidentally sent the Wii remote at Mach 10 into my stepdad's new Sony Bravia HDTV.

Really, looking back on it, there was no way we could have avoided it.