Google
 
Web blogofthebard.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 31, 2007

The New Way To Make a Great Movie

It seems that over the past many years the new trend to movie-making is to not necessarily make a good movie but rather make a good "buzz" heading into the movie so that you can get enough people watching it by the first weekend that it doesn't matter whether or not the movie is even good or not. Take, for instance, the movie, "Bug." Now this movie might be good, I don't know since I haven't watched it, but I do know that after watching this trailer:




I came away with the clear impression that this might be a really creepy "Bug" movie. Then I saw the reviews. The critics loved it and yet the audience hated it beyond words. Why? Because, apparently, there aren't really all that many bugs in the Bug movie. Instead, Bug is a psychological thriller of another sorts that, obviously by the fact that every critic reviewed it, the critics knew about ahead of time (because critics never review any mainstream horror movie-despite how good or bad). As for the audience, they all saw the same trailer as me and assumed that it was about.....oh, I don't know.....bugs maybe? Sure, they could have marketed the movie for what it was....two crazy people gettin' together in a small room so that they can spend the night gettin' all kindsa crazier but crazy is for Cannes, Bugs opened nationwide...which begs the question once more, "Why?" Why not target an audience of true interest instead of tapping the mainstream horror movie watching crowd (that being the teen to twenty somethings)? I don't know but it isn't the first time it happened.

In Gladiator (yes, I know, it was a huge blockbuster), the trailer showed the main enemy as a man in a gold mask while in the movie the guy in the mask was actually an overweight nothing as the true enemy translated to little more than a crybaby in tights when compared to the overly-testosteronized Maximus character.

In the Matrix sequels the made us believe they were gonna be awesome and yet they sucked. Alright, I guess that's more of a personal issue but still: trailers awesome, movies sucked ass.

I've got many more examples but, for some reason, my movie brain isn't working anymore so I guess I'll leave it for edit later.