Google
 
Web blogofthebard.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Finally, A Soldier Receives His Pardon

Private Harry Farr's family couldn't be happier that Harry finally got his pardon from the British government. I can see where they would be happy since it did take ninety years of fighting with the government before they finally exonerated Private Farr. As for Private Farr, himself, I doubt he really gives a shit since the British government shot him waaaayyyy back in 1916 for cowardice. I wonder if that pardon comes with some sort of resurrection clause or, at the very least, a shiny new tombstone? Now don't get me wrong, I know that World War I and World War II were true "fight to survive" wars but, come on, it shouldn't take ninety years to say that maybe your country was wrong for putting your own soldiers in front of a firing squad. These were young men that had already seen action, they had already served a part in defending your country; at least give their families something more than a meaningless pardon. Give 'em a new car or, at the very least, some free bus passes! And for the love of all things that are sane, pardon the other 306 young men you shot along with Private Farr! You do that and maybe we'll think about changing our tactics over at Guantanamo Bay......note I said maybe but if you throw in those new cars that maybe could change to a good chance pretty soon. But I still wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Here's the Private Farr article.