Google
 
Web blogofthebard.blogspot.com

Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Wrong Way to Make Amends

It's amazing the lengths some people will go to in order to right the wrongs they have done in the past. For instance, I'm always overly nice to carnie folk simply because I stabbed one with a plastic fork. In my defense, I was eleven and all hopped up on cotton candy and caramel apples and the guy kept looking at me funny. Of course that's no excuse for fork-stabbing which is why I usually spend a good twenty dollars on the ring toss game at every carnival despite the fact that I have absolutely no use for yet another baby rabbit. An even better example is that of The Master's, arguably the most prestigious event in golf, and it's new position on racism. After many years of blatant racism conducted by the esteemed Augusta National Golf club against African-American people, the golf club is now sending out letter bombs to the eldest and most prestigous of it's white male club members in an obvious attempt to bring itself more in line with current beliefs. The first to receive one of their "oppression correction" letters was none other than 94 year old golf legend, and previous two-time Masters winner, Byron Nelson. According to the Associated Press article :

A package sent to the home of golf legend Byron Nelson was detonated by a bomb squad

Later, the article stated that the contents of the exploding letter contained:

.... banners from the Masters and a letter.

Although police decided that nothing appeared criminal about the exploding package I have to disagree. While I understand that The Master's heart was in the right place when they sent out the letter bomb, I don't think blowing up old white men will undo years of persecution and abuse against peoples of a different skin color. But, of course, what the hell do I know about the right way to make amends? I've got thirty eight rabbits as proof of that.