Google
 
Web blogofthebard.blogspot.com

Monday, July 17, 2006

Blog jumping...a good way to get yourself bored to death.

I often wonder if this whole Internet thing is really all that good for the world as a whole. Case in point, I remember losing five good evenings of my life a few years back when I spent wayyyy too many hours reading and commenting about Derek's Wal-Mart receipts. It was insane really and I would gladly pass the whole thing off as foolish indiscretions of youth but, well, I was 27 at the time. Of course, I could argue that I'm extremely immature for my age (and in that argument I have a strong point) but I'm never one to play the "immaturity card" unless my wife catches me watching The Cartoon Network or I forget to take out the trash. Regardless, I moved on and actually landed a job making decent money. Two weeks later I found that I needed to do something with my money and not wishing to toss it directly down the toilet I, instead, made my first Ebay purchase. I've been struggling to keep my ass off of Ebay ever since. I ranted about Ebay on my LiveJournal a few months back so I won't do so again but, just to update, my recent purchases have been some ink toner, a nine iron, and a beaver pelt. If you pause upon the beaver pelt, it was for my dad and I was assured that the beaver died peacefully at home with his family. The elder beaver also left wishes with his estate executor that his fur be used to better mankind in the form of a nice hat or, possibly, a lovely hand bag.

After Ebay, came Google or, better expressed, the phrase, "Just Google it." Not too long ago, I Googled my own name and I came up as a winner of a Ms. Hawaiian contest back in 2002 (man, that was a crazy-ass two weeks) which caused me to tone down my Googling quite a bit. And that brings me to today: the time of the blogosphere. It has potential, I see that, as it links us globally (at least somewhat) but for now I'll save my opinion. Besides I've gotta comment on Derek's July 30, 2000 purchase because, honestly, who really buys A&W Cream Soda anymore?

UPDATE (7-18-2006): Oddly, this blog was supposed to be about my theory on "Blog jumping" (as you notice in the title) but somehow my crazy-ass brain forgot that and started talking about the progression of the Internet. As for blog jumping, I didn't explain my little theory on that at all. Oh, and I spent a good forty five minutes re-reading Derek's stupid Wal-Mart receipts! So there you have it: my theory on blog jumping. What was it? The hell if I know because I somehow forgot the theory while I was writing a blog about it. Still, I'm putting that title down as one of my all-time favorite blog entry titles (Why? Because I'm a narcissitic bastard that's why).