Google
 
Web blogofthebard.blogspot.com

Monday, July 17, 2006

When the Caller I.D. says don't answer...listen.

By and large, I don't answer calls from numbers I don't know. But then Tad from BoxOfficeMojo called me the other day and I just had to answer because his number looked so damn charming on the Caller I.D. Looking back, I guess it was a, "you had to be there kind of moment," (if such a thing can happen between a person and a number on his Caller I.D.). Long story short, this is how the conversation went:

Me: Hello?

Tad: Hello! Is this Bradley?

Me: I go by Shawn.

Tad: Oh, your Bradley but you go by Shawn?

Me: Who is this?

Tad: Hey Shawn! This is Tad, I'm calling from BoxOffficeMojo. I'd like you to answer me a question if you've got a moment!

Me: Define a moment Tad.

Tad: That's funny, Shawn! I can tell that your a really witty guy! But seriously, Shawn, I've got to ask you why haven't you seen Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest yet? Did you know that it is the highest ten-day grossing movie of all time?

Me [pausing]: Yeah, I knew that but--

Tad: You knew that and still didn't go see it?

Me: Yes, Tad, as I said, I knew that--

Tad [laughing]: I find that rather hard to believe, Shawn! Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest is perfect for someone in your demographic...and wasn't your wife and kid away this weekend?

Me: How did you know--

Tad: To be honest with you, Shawn, we're worried about you. Did you know that in less than two years you will be less likely to watch great movies like Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest and more likely to watch lame-ass old people movies like Something's Gotta Give or..well..um, actually Stu does the 35-45 demographic so he'd probably--

Me: Are we done here Tad?

Tad: Actually, Shawn, we are going to need you to give us a voice recording indicating that you are refusing to watch Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man--

Me: Goodbye Tad.

Honestly, I don't know why Tad was being such a prick. I downloaded a pirated version of Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest onto my computer ten days ago. Normally, I don't agree with pirating movies but, in this case, I thought it would go against the spirit of the movie to do anything otherwise.